Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Owner Q & A #3 Responses

Hey guys,

Here are all of the responses. Thanks to everyone who participated. If anyone stills wants to submit their answers I can always edit this post and place them there.

Here are the questions presented one more time.
1. What are the negatives about "rushing" a top prospect to the big leagues? How fast do you bring up your top tier guys?

2. As a whole do you prefer prospects that are from high school, college, or international? Pitchers vs Position players?

3. What is the lowest OVR rating a player has had that you have seen be "successful" at the ML level? Successful being loosely defined as in the everyday lineup batting >.270 15HR 60 RBI or in the rotation/closer with <5.00 ERA 1.30 WHIP or however you define "successful".

Who Would Win? (who would you rather have?)
Pick your preferred dominant closer to save your games:
a. - 80 Control, 50 Velocity, 70 Pit 1, 60 Pit 2
b. - 50 Control, 90 Velocity, 80 Pit 1, 70 Pit 2
c. - 60 Control, 70 Velocity, 90 Pit 1, 80 Pit 2


------
dyuen - Mexico City

1) I am very conservative about bringing guys up. I usually have them spend a year at each level. It seems if you rush guys they don't develop as well at the big leagues. I have guys like Velazquez and Rivera who have been ready for a couple years but I leave them at AAA simply because I don't have room for them.

2) I used to prefer internationals because you knew what you were getting but I think that everyone has caught on and now the bidding is too competitive. I am currently going for high school players simply because I have tons of talent at the 21-25 year old range.

3) Not sure, probably in the 60s

4) C without question.

--------
jwendt - Sioux Falls

1 - It's clear that promoting a player too fast will stunt his growth so that he'll never reach his potential. Moreover, I've found that players that are "ahead" of where they should be tend not to play up to their ratings. On top of that, the sooner they're in the bigs, the sooner their FA and arbitration clocks start ticking. If the guy can't really help, don't waste those 3 cheap years.

2 - Spending on internationals has gotten very expensive the past 3 or so seasons. I find it difficult to add real talent there and maintain a player payroll that allows me to compete. As for college vs HS, it's about 1-2 years difference in getting them to the bigs, so I don't worry about it. Take the best guy.

3 - I've gotten useful contributions from relievers with ratings in the 50's maybe even the high 40's. Stamina is such a big factor in the overall rating, but for situational relievers, it's really not that big a deal.

I would always take the control over the velocity, though the increase in K's the past couple seasons is starting to even off that balance.

---------
gtce98

1. I have tried to give them as much time as possible I have tried to give them at least 1 year at every level with a couple of exceptions. If a player is at like 95% of there overall I don't think keeping them in the minors really gets you that much.


2. I have stayed away from the internationals due to the level of competitiveness that occurs for them, I have other uses for my budget. I don't really have a preference over college or high school.

3. I had a pitcher the first couple of seasons whose overall was like 39 and was somewhat effective I don't have the stats but I was always amazed that he kept his ERA around 4. Of guys on my current roster Haywood Hunt was a 55 last year (3.39 era, 31 saves as a closer, 1.15 whip) and is a 48 currently (.84 era, .139 oav, .75 whip) as a setup man).

Who Would Win?
I will submit a third choice, I have used H Hunt as my closer the previous three years, I have moved to the young stud now who is 90+, 80+, 80+, 60+ otherwise the perfect closer.

Hunt was a Mid 50's control, low 40's velocity, 4 quality pitches >50, but vL and vR were 90ish. who saved 50, 47 and 31 with an era around 3. So I honestly look for the guys who are most effective against lefties and righties.

----
dberube7

1. I suppose rushing can stunt growth, but it is hard to tell. Could have to do with the patience rating of the coaches. I try to give prospects one year in Rookie/Low A/High A/ and then at least half a year in AA & AAA.

2. I like 18 & 19 year old guys, so I do prefer the high school players. Internationals are great for finding a real top end player.

3. A DH/1B can have a low rating and still be productive. Mark Mitchell is rated 50 overall and won the ROY for me in Stargell on a team that went to the WS. He is 50 overall - stats were 50 HR, .273 ave, 127 RBI's.
For a closer, Calvin Hill was my closer in Second City last year at a 52 rating. 21-23 in SO, 3.98 ERA, 1.26 WHIP. He peaked at 65 overall in season 2, and is #3 all time in Second City in saves.


Who Would Win?
C - Because of the 2 great pitches, he will be be able to get away with the lower control.


----------
kmueller

1. The SIM is not smart enough at this point (or I do not have enough data) to bring up prospects early if you want them to reach potential. Let me stress: IF YOU WANT THEM TO REACH POTENTIAL. That said, if a guy can help you to a great extent... bring him up.

2. HS, since the sim doesn't handle rating appreciation well at this point. I want more years.

3. I've seen players as low as bottom 60s do really well hitting the ball as DHs/1Bs. Also in another league I've had a sub-70 pitcher (STARTER, not closer) be in the Cy Young balloting (top 5 pitchers). OVR means nothing... its just a shame owners trading don't see that.

Who Would Win?
Probably C. I want a hard thrower who wont' walk everyone and has nasty pitches.


-------
wang35

1. I never rush any of my prospects. It's hurts development and when rushed they never reach full potential. I promote only once per year. They are only promoted to the ML when they are ready to be an everyday player.

2. Best available prospect in draft, generally going after a high school player.

3. I don't really look at overall rating just individual rating categories. I look for what fits with my team. Each guy has a role whether as a hitter or a late inning defensive player or as a relief pitcher or a spot starter.

Who Would Win?
If i had to choose one of those guys i'd pick c. I like his pitches although his control is too low for my taste. I'd sacrifice velocity for somebody with good control who has good pitches.

------
hchohenmb

1. Have not been able to rush better projections since they seem to take a while to do well in the majors
2. I prefer the younger prospects the most overall
3. I usually seek 65+ to the majors but occasionally can have an older 55+ reliever with good control
4. I choose higher control followed by higher 1st and 2nd pitch.
------

darrenmaybee

1. I see two problems. One is you start the clock on their options and salary requirements and the other is they simply may get roughed up since their current ratings are still subpar. If they get roughed up you are either stuck with them at the ML level or you can send them down again but you use your options and depending on their patience level you could stunt their growth.

2. Still learning just my second season. But one thought is college and internationals can fill specific position spots and are ready quicker. High school may be best for quality starting pitchers if you can be patient and wait.

3. I kind of made a basic rule of thumb for OVR ratings.
90+ = ML MVP
80+ = ML STAR
70+ = ML Regular
60+ = ML Bench
50+ = AAA
40+ = AA
The best examples I have seen are a purely defensive catcher could be in the 50s and at least be useful for playcalling and throwing baserunners out as a backup.

Who Would Win?
C. As another basic rule I have seen Control relate to Walks, Velocity relate to Strikeouts, and Pitch strenght relate to ERA. Overall Pitcher C has the best balance.
-------

No comments: