Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Interview with a Champion - JWendt

Hello Jason, Champion of Season 10 with the Sioux Falls Dakota!

As always Darren Maybee, baseball analyst and blogger for the Windy City Musings, requested the first interview with a champion to start off season 11. It will help fill in the time until we see if Manny Ramirez signs with Mexico City.

DARREN
First of all, congratulations!
You have had a pretty strong team these past couple of seasons, what made it all click for you this season 10?

JASON
First - I want to thank all of Second City. For ten seasons this group has a been a blast to play with. We've had consistently excellent retention and the level of play gets better every year (not that I'm ready to concede the division to hockey_brian, dberube or goblkngld just yet!

Frankly, we just got hot at the right time. This was actually the fewest games my team had ever won in the pre-season. I faced elimination in the first round against Nashville and was lucky to escape.

DARREN
What critical trades or roster moves if any may have made a difference in winning?

JASON
I think adding Derrick Quinn before the season for Jim Hughes was a real key. Hughes is a nice SS but I needed a true leadoff man and Quinn really helped me out there.

DARREN
What was your greatest strength and weakness leading to the championship?

JASON
Well, the Dakota have always prided themselves on pitching, especially in the rotation. That was true again this year. The
bullpen also really stepped it up after some investments in that area. As for a weakness, this may have been one of my worst defensive teams in several years. Age the lack of a true CF took there toll.

DARREN
How much time on a daily basis did you dedicate to managing your team? Did it increase during the playoffs?

JASON
I make a point of spending 10 minutes in the morning everyday keeping an eye on the team. If I'm not busy, I'll usually log on after the PM cycle as well. So that's maybe 20 minutes a day. During some times like the draft or off-season that time goes up. Plus, when I can fit it in, I like to get a blog article up there every now and again, especially if it gives me a chance to give wang35, dyuen, or gtce a hard time about something.

DARREN
Do you change your game strategy by who you are facing or which parks you are in?

JASON
I never make a change based on ballpark. I will alter lineups and occasionally baserunning or steal settings based on an opponent's pitcher and catcher.

DARREN
Did you have any major injuries that almost made you give up?

JASON
I sure did. I lost my ace, Bartolo Gonzalez for 60 days with about 40 games to go in the season. I thought that really hurt my playoff chances. When I staged that miracle comeback in the first round I really thought that would be it. But Bartolo was back for the NLCS against the hated Bandejos. With him and a little help from the Green Fairy - I was off to the World Series!

DARREN
Did you think you have found the perfect "budget" formula?

JASON
I don't think there's a perfect formula for everyone. I've been fairly consistent spending about $90 on player payroll. If I don't have any compensation picks I've usually got enough prospect budget to find 1 or 2 useful parts in the Int'l market, but I can't usually afford a star.

DARREN
What one piece of advice would you give the newbies or those still struggling for that first playoff chance?

JASON
4 things
#1 - DEFENSE
#2 - DEFENSE
#3 - DEFENSE
#4 - Don't rush your prospects

DARREN
Lastly, what nickname would you like to have for Season 11 as the reigning champion? Sir J, J Master, J Rock, or J-Z and Beyonce?

JASON - AKA THE J
I'd love to have J-Z and Beyonce on the Dakota staff, perhaps in the marketing department, but I'll stick with THE J for a nickname.

Good luck to all!
Jason

No comments: